Sanjay Sanghvi is a Partner in the Direct Tax Practice Group in the Mumbai office. With over 23 years of professional experience in advising and helping clients on domestic and international taxation matters across various sectors of the economy; advising and assisting on M&A transactions and advising on and handling large tax litigations and high end representation before Tax and Transfer Pricing Authorities.
Sanjay’s core competency is advising on both domestic and cross border taxation and advising and representing in high end tax representation and tax controversies/tax disputes matters of Indian corporates; HNIs and MNCs / Foreign companies right up to the Supreme Court of India and before the Authority for Advance Rulings. He is a versatile tax professional with varied experience on advising and representing before Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, High Courts and tax Authorities. Clients value Sanjay for his sound and comprehensive legal tax counselling and the ability to handle tax matters before tax authorities and Courts in India in a time bound manner.
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- Bombay Chartered Accountants Society
- Chamber of Tax Consultants
Recognition and Accomplishments
- Sanjay has been highly recommended for his Tax expertise and excellent service in RSG Consulting Ltd’s ‘2017 Client Recommendations’.
- Recommended as one of the leading Tax Controversy Leaders in Asia Pacific in ‘International Tax Review’ 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Survey.
- Recommended as a leading Tax Lawyer by Chambers & Partners’ 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 and appraised of for ‘outstanding level of service’ in Direct Tax matters, regulatory instructions and tax litigation by Legal 500 in their 2017 survey.
- Sanjay was also nominated as one of the leading tax advisors by Euromoney's Tax Advisers Guide 2014 and acknowledged by Asialaw as one of the prominent Lawyers of taxation for the years 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Sanjay Sanghvi has represented and advised the following clients
Represented before Authority for Advance Rulings in the landmark case concerning applicability of India-Mauritius tax treaty on capital gains taxation issues.
Fortune 500 Group
Represented and advised on a large Transfer Pricing related dispute.
A multi-national fast food chain
Represented and advised on an important matter concerning transfer pricing dispute.
A global apparel brand
Advised on tax structuring, negotiation assistance for a tax efficient M&A transaction.
Mahindra-British Telecom Investment Co (Mauritius) Ltd
Represented before Authority for Advance Rulings on taxability of capital gains on divestment of equity in an Indian listed Company, under India-Mauritius Tax Treaty including advising and representing before Bombay High Court on a subsequent ‘Writ Petition’ proceedings taken out by the tax authorities seeking to challenge advance ruling.
Ergo Update22 Nov '19
Ergo Update20 Sep '19