Rabindra Jhunjhunwala is a Partner and a senior member in the Corporate Law Practice in the Mumbai office. He started with the firm in its Kolkata office in 1990 and co-founded the Mumbai office in 2001.
He heads the Firm's IBA, France desk and Germany desk initiatives. He also sits as an officer on the IBA Corporate and M&A Committee. He has been elected as vice president of the Bar Association of India. His practice spans a range of areas, including domestic and cross border M&A, PE investment, transaction documentation work and advises his clients regularly on all aspects of foreign investments (both inbound and outbound) and regulatory approvals. He has advised several multinationals and Indian companies on complex and big-ticket M&A transactions.
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- Bar Association, Calcutta High Court
- Incorporated Law Society, Calcutta High Court
- High Court Club, Calcutta High Court
- The Trade Mark Registry and The Patent Office, India
- International Bar Association International Law Association, London
Recognition and Accomplishments
- Endorsed as a Leading Lawyer in India - Highly regarded by IFLR1000.
- India Business Law Journal lists him as one of the Leading lawyers in The A list of India’s top 100 lawyers.
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific for Corporate/M&A work
- India M&A Atlas Awards who have appraised him and his team as the Private Equity Law Team of the Year
- Lexis Nexis have listed him as 100 Legal Luminaries of India
- Ranked by Asialaw Leading Lawyers as one of the Market-leading lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions
Rabindra Jhunjhunwala has represented and advised the following clients
Advised on the Indian law aspects in relation to execution of a purchase agreement to acquire majority stake in OptoTech Optichmaschinen GmbH, a company incorporated in Germany (Target).
Kalzip Group (part of Tata Steel Europe)
Advised on the Indian law aspects in relation to its acquisition by Donges SteelTec (a subsidiary of German Mutares Group) including acquisition of its India subsidiary, Kalzip India Private Limited.
Advised in relation to acquisition of Gfk group’s custom research business in India. The acquisition was part of the acquisition of 4 global divisions of GfK’s custom research by Ipsos in 26 countries for an enterprise value of Euro 105 million.
Jiangsu Jinsheng Industry Co., Ltd. (“Jinsheng”), China
Advised on the Indian leg of the transaction in relation to its acquisition of the natural fibres and textile components business units from the textile segment of Oerlikon Corporation AG, Switzerland structured in the form of asset and share purchase deals for a total consideration of 500 million Swiss Francs.
Mayne Pharmaceuticals, Australia
Advised on a joint venture with Zydus Cadila for manufacture of injectable cytotoxic products.
The Blackstone Group
Advised on investment in Gateway Rail Freight Ltd. - subsidiary of Gateway Distriparks Ltd. (listed entity).
Advised in relation to the Indian leg on its acquisition of Bilcare Global Clinical Supplies from Bilcare Limited, an Indian company listed on the BSE for approximately USD 61 million.
Hutchinson Telecommunications International Limited
Advised on sale of stake in Hutch–Essar to Vodafone, plc, with a deal value of USD 11.1 billion.
Total SA., France
Advised on sale of businesses of coatings resins of Cray Valley (Europe, Asia, South Africa) and Cook Composite Polymers (United States), as well as the photocure resins of Sartomer (Europe, United States, Asia) to Arkema S.A., France, with a deal value of USD 720 million.
Article13 Dec '19
Article07 Oct '19
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity, Estate Planning, Trusts and Private Client
Partner, New Delhi
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity, Restructuring & Insolvency