Rajat Mukherjee is a Partner in the Corporate and M&A practice group in the NCR office. With over 20 years of experience, Rajat concentrates primarily on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and cross border transactions.
After completing his LL.M. from Columbia University, Rajat worked in New York and Hong Kong before joining Khaitan in 2010 to help build the Firm's M&A practice in New Delhi, which has recently been ranked as a Band 1 Corporate/M&A practice in India by Chambers & Partners. Rajat is recognized as a Leading Individual for corporate/M&A in Chambers and Partners 2022 Asia Pacific rankings. Rajat was in the Asian Legal Business “40 under 40” list for 2017. He also featured in the Asian Legal Business Super 50 Indian Lawyers list in 2020 and was ranked as Next Generation Partner and identified as a key lawyer in the firm’s corporate practice for several years by Legal 500 including in 2021 and 2022.
Rajat represents various domestic and international clients in a range of sectors including media (print and digital), IT & ITES, pharmaceutical and healthcare, FMCG, defense, logistics, education and retail.
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- New York Bar Association, U.S.
Recognition and Accomplishments
- Listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers and Partners 2022 for Corporate and M&A.
- Listed as a Next Generation Partner and identified as a key lawyer in the firm’s corporate practice by Legal 500 for several years including in 2021 and 2022. A client quoted in Legal 500 says ‘Rajat Mukherjee is an excellent partner. He is proactive, clear, straightforward and pragmatic in his advice. He acts to support in building client relationships but has good depth of knowledge on M&A too’. Another client testimonial said ‘the corporate and M&A team around Rajat Mukherjee has not only formidable technical skills and strong commercial judgment but also the personal dedication to serve the client and find the best solutions for the transaction’.
- Another client testimonial in Legal 500 said ‘Rajat Mukherjee has an incisive mind and excellent communication skills – this combination helped the parties to overcome stalemate situations following his pragmatic and objective advice’.
- Featured in the Asian Legal Business “40 under 40” list in 2017.
- Featured in Top 50 Indian Lawyers 2020 under Asian Legal Business India Super 50 Lawyers in 2020.
- Ranked by IBLJ in their 2021 rankings as a practice leader in Education.
Rajat Mukherjee has represented and advised the following clients
WABCO Holdings Inc.
Advised on the India leg in its acquisition by ZF Friedrichshafen AG for an equity value of over USD 7 billion including equity value of Wabco India of approximately USD 1.7 billion. The indirect acquisition of Wabco India triggered an open offer in India under the takeover code.
Committee of Independent Directors of Mindtree Limited
Advised on the obligations pursuant to the open offer announced by Larsen &Toubro Limited for 31% of the share capital of Mindtree Limited for an aggregate deal value of up to USD 1.5 billion.
Jagran Prakashan Limited
Advised on various matters including acquisition of Naidunia, a daily newspaper, and the recent acquisition of “Radio City” FM radio channel from India Value Fund.
Advised Edgeconnex, Inc. as co-counsel along with Allen & Overy in the joint venture with Adani Enterprises Limited for setting up, operating and managing data center business in India.
Laureate Education Inc.
Advised on various matters over the last 10 years including the acquisition and subsequent sale of a higher educational institution which was the largest transaction in the regulated education space in India.
Advised in relation to acquisition of 23% stake in IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited (ITGI) from the existing shareholders, IFFCO and Indian Potash Limited, resulting in an increase in TM Asia’s equity stake in ITGI from 26% to 49% for USD 392 million.
Advised on the India leg of the sale of its fluid handling business to Circor International, Inc. for an estimated aggregate consideration of USD 860 million.
The Blackstone Group
Advised on investment in the holding company of Jagran Prakashan Limited and subsequent exit.
Advised on the India leg of its global joint venture with Accenture for the Duck Creek business.
Elanco Animal Health
Advised Elanco Animal Health on the India leg of its USD 6.89 billion acquisition of the animal health business of Bayer AG.
Article21 Nov '23
Article21 Jul '23
Publications28 Jun '23
Article08 Jul '21
Article08 Jul '21
Article08 Jul '21
Corporate and Commercial, Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Venture & Collaborations
Corporate Restructuring, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate and Commercial